Congratulations to our volunteer of the year!
As a primarily volunteer-run organization, we simply can’t state just how important our volunteers are to Columbus Bike Co-op. Volunteers do almost all the work of keeping our shop up and running, and theirs are the smiling faces that you’ll see and helping hands you’ll appreciate when you come visit the workshop.
For that reason, we decided to start giving out an annual Volunteer of the Year award to a volunteer that exemplifies the traits we look for in our volunteers, and who has gone the extra mile to make the Co-op an even better place to visit. It was a tough decision because we have so many wonderful volunteers!
We are pleased to announce that our Volunteer of the Year for 2014 is Don Fye. Don is one of our Shop Monitors (bike repair assistants), and has been a weekly fixture at the Co-op since 2013. His patience, dedication and bicycle knowledge make him a great asset to the Bike Co-op and we are so pleased to have him as a volunteer.
We are always looking for volunteers. If you would like to volunteer at the Co-op or find out more about volunteering, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don Fye, Columbus Bike Co-op’s Volunteer of the Year 2014
Cheryl Wright presenting the Volunteer of the Year Award for 2014 to Don Fye
Bike Maintenance Class – June 28th
Our Bike Maintenance Class in May was so popular that we have decided to offer another FREE class in Basic Bicycle Adjustment & Maintenance on Sunday, June 28th from 3-5pm. Bring your bike so that we can customize the class based on the components of your bicycle. We’ll show you the basics and then help you try out your new skills on your very own bike.
Please register for this FREE class by signing up at the Bike Co-op or by e-mailing us at email@example.com. Check out our Facebook event here.
Save money and stay safe by learning how to properly care for your bicycle!
Introducing our new Shop Manager
Please help us in extending a warm welcome to our new Shop Manager, Joe Morley.
Joe has a great deal of experience working as a bike mechanic in various bike shops and providing training on bike repair and other subjects, and is enthusiastic about getting started at the Bike Co-op! You can expect to see him during most of our shop hours.
Joe will soon be taking over volunteer coordination duties as well, while Cheryl Wright will remain part of the team as Marketing Coordinator.
Make sure to say hello when you see Joe at the shop!
Joe Morley – the Bike Co-op’s new Shop Manager
Join us for Bike to Work Day!
We’re excited about the 10th Annual Bike to Work Day, taking place this Friday, May 15th, starting at 7:15am.
Join us on May 15th for Bike to Work Day, organized by Reach Healthy Communities. Various community leaders will be riding from the following locations:
-the People Trail at SR46W & Goeller Blvd.
-the Haw Creek Trail at 30th St. & Griffa
-Blackwell Park/Parkside (west parking lot)
-Donner Park (large shelter house)
-Eastside Community Center
Riders will leave each location at 7:15am and ride downtown. A light breakfast will be provided from 7:30-8:30am at the Cummins Irwin Conference Center Plaza. There will also be a light breakfast provided by Columbus Regional Health (patio of dining pavilion) and the Columbus Learning Center for those participants that don’t work downtown. Riders will log their trip on the Columbus Commuter Challenge website.
Indoor bike parking will be available all day at WellConnect!
To download the poster, click here: BiketoWorkDay2015.
Now Hiring: Shop Manager
Do you have a passion for bikes, experience with bike repair, and want to get more involved with the Bike Co-op? We are now hiring a Shop Manager!
The mission of the Columbus Bike Co-op, Inc. is to promote bicycling as environmentally friendly, healthful and enjoyable and to provide the space and the knowledge needed to repair, reuse, and rebuild bicycles donated by the public or by public or private entities. The Co-op performs three fundamental functions:
- Works with citizens and organizations to repair, reuse, and rebuild bicycles and donates such bicycles to citizens and organizations in the community.
- Hosts bicycle safety and educational events.
- Works with citizens in the city and county to promote a bicycle-friendly community.
The Co-op is seeking a part-time employee to help sustain the growth and success of the organization. Typically open 2-3 evenings a week from 5:30pm-8pm (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and Sunday from 2pm-5pm, the employee will be expected to work the majority of the 6-10 hours per week during these hours of operation.
Bike Co-op Shop Manager
- Desired skills and experience include: customer service skills, basic mechanical skills, interest in and familiarity with bicycles, experience teaching or training, in a supervisory role and working with people of diverse backgrounds
- Position will be compensated for a maximum of 10 hours per week for $9.00/hour (52 weeks)
- Process of selection will be based on experience, ability to work effectively, and customer service skills
- Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Making sure that volunteers and monitors keep shop organized and clean
- Ordering tools and parts as needed
- Meeting with and selecting shop monitors for the Co-op
- Being available to customers and volunteers during shop hours
- Making sure that volunteers are working together and with customers appropriately
- Submitting a monthly report outlining tasks completed related to the hours worked
- Attending Board of Director quarterly meetings and reporting on the status of the Co-op
- Attending monthly volunteer meetings
To Apply: Download an application from www.bikeco-op.org or pick up a paper application during open shop hours, email completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Columbus Bike Co-op 1531 13th St, Ste B100 Columbus, IN 47201, or drop off during open shop hours.
Application Deadline: Monday, May 18, 2015 at 5pm.